Avana is a Saskatchewan-based real estate enterprise headquartered in Regina. The Avana team, proud of their female-led and family-owned values, is dedicated to using its energy and resources to enrich the community through extensive charitable giving and the development of safe, attainable, quality housing across Canada.
Since founding the company in 2014, Avana has emerged as a leading developer in Western Canada with accolades for high-growth successes and social responsibility. With over $300 million in assets under management and extraordinary business performance to-date, Avana ranked No. 10 on the Canadian Business and Maclean’s 2020 Growth List of Top 500 companies in Canada, marking the first time in history that a female-led company from Saskatchewan broke the Growth’s List Top 10.
Collectively, the Avana team demonstrates a progressive and forward-thinking attitude and approach to ideation actively seeking out change and evolution. As a key member of the Avana team you will exhibit a strong drive and passion to fight for equality and female empowerment. Parallel to Avana’s strong familial sense of belonging, care, and respect, you will be a part of something bigger than yourself. Together, the Avana team will build a better tomorrow, a better future, ultimately leading to a better community.
Visit avanabuilds.com to learn more about Avana’s purpose-led vision to maximize positive impact in the community.
To support the fast-pace and high-growth at Avana, our client is actively seeking a Controller to closely support the President/CEO with all of cash flow and reporting needs of the company as they head towards their goal of achieving $1B in assets under management over the next 10 years.
This is an exciting time to join Avana as they grow and expand across key real estate markets in Canada. A commitment to and alignment with the corporate culture will be key to this professional’s success in the role. Everyone at Avana believes in a strong work ethic, a positive, can-do and will-do attitude and shares a passion for the community.
Based at the Regina, Saskatchewan head office, the Controller reports directly to the Head of Operations, and will lead a team of 2 direct reports for now with plans to grow. The Controller works with the President/CEO from time to time dealing with cash flow forecasting, providing documentation for financing applications.
The Controller works directly with the external accounting firm to finalize annual audited, reviewed and notice to reader financial statements for the entities in the enterprise. Throughout the fiscal year, this individual will gather details, options and assess risk, who will then present to the President/CEO as the ultimate decision maker on significant items.
The Controller manages the day to day banking needs of the enterprise, including bank accounts, credit cards, and cash flow products and services. This individual directly manages the accounting department staff, including daily management, performance reviews, performance development plans and compensation entitlements. This individual contributes to the operations by finding efficiencies and ensuring accuracy in the financial operations.
The scope of this position applies to Avana’s activities across Canada in current markets and will apply to new markets.
We have an incredibly fast-paced work environment so we are looking for passion, energy and proactivity.
Skills & Qualifications
- Possess a driven entrepreneurial spirit.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to exercise composure and maintain professionalism at all times.
- Strong and articulate communication skills.
- Ability to work well independently and collaborate in a team environment.
- Emotional intelligence to thrive in a family enterprise.
- Ability to adhere to CPA standards while offering creativity to decision making in relation to tax planning.
- Enjoys and works well in a fast-paced, high-growth environment that is focused on driving corporate expansion and market presence.
- Ability to delegate to and manage individuals on the accounting team.
- Ability to travel from time to time within Canada
Avana is a strong advocate for women and children with a mission to lead with a purpose that is driven by our values. We are proud to partner with and support the community organization, Sofia House. For the month of October Avana is matching donations to Sofia House up to $5000.00! Visit the website to make a donation in support of Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Your support is greatly appreciated!
Sofia House is a non-profit, second stage housing facility in Regina, SK that provides safe housing and supportive programming and counselling services to families who have experienced domestic violence. The immediate priority of Sofia House is to provide their clients with a safe environment through their 20 apartments equipped with basic essentials for every day living. A reserve of donations in-kind is kept on-site to restock apartments or present to those families that have completed their stay.
In addition to a safe place to live, Sofia House provides supportive counselling services. A combination of individual and group counselling for all family members is offered. Focus is on building self esteem and empowering women to use their coping skills and incorporate them into leadership skills.
Domestic violence can look differently from situation to situation. It is a pattern of verbal, emotional, physical, or sexual behaviours used by one person in order to gain power and control over another person. Domestic violence refers to abuse that occurs in the contact of an intimate relationship or family setting.
Domestic violence is committed by both women and men, however women experience violence differently.
- Violence against women is more frequent, severe, and morelikely to be life threatening than violent acts against men.
- Physical abuse of women is more likely to result in the needfor medical treatment.
- Women are more likely to experience violence fromintimate partners in their homes.
- Women are at a greater risk of sexual violence.
- The fear of violence is more prevalent in women, potentiallypreventing them from being fully active members in their communities.
Statistics on Domestic Violence in Canada
- Over the past 5 years, 8% of women report that they have experienced violence by an intimate partner.
- On average, 73 women are murdered by their husbands every year. This is more than three times the number of men who are murdered by their wives.
- Only 37% of female victims of spousal violence reported incidents to police.
- 11% of women who reported at least 1 incidence of spousal violence in the previous year went to a shelter or transition house.
- Since 2000, the rate of spousal violence against women has decreased while the rate of violence against women by their boyfriends has increased.
- The most likely victims of domestic violence include: Women under the age of 25
Women in lower-income households.
In closing we would like to remind you that COVID-19 has effected many of us differently. It has really shone a light on the need for second stage housing and supportive programming for our community. Now, more than ever we need to band together and support those who are experiencing hardships.